Mum Criticises Basildon Hospital


Chelsea Clarke took her daughter Dolcie-Rae to the hospital after she came down with a very high temperature and a rash over most of her body. She alleges she was made to wait in the hospital for more than 24 hours to get treatment and states they were badly handled by some of the nurses in Puffin Ward.

Basildon Hospital has declared Miss Clarke encountered a bad experience and the member of staff, who was a temporary agency worker, is no longer working at the hospital.

Miss Clark, 21, from Laindon, Essex said that she took her daughter back to the hospital shortly after 6 pm on November 25. She was put with her daughter in the main A&E department outside the X-ray because her daughter was contagious.

Dolcie had not drunk or eaten anything all day and her mum had reported this to the hospital when they arrived and informed them that Dolcie didn’t have any wet nappies and the hospital didn’t appear to be that concerned.

Following hours of waiting, about 9 pm they were seen by a nurse and sent back to wait for the doctor, but hours went by. Dolcie still wasn’t drinking, still no wet nappy and still no tests done, and her mother was seething by this time.

They were kept in A&E waiting for so long and in the end, they were there the whole night before anything was done properly and she was getting so upset, no one appeared to be that concerned about how Dolcie was, and letting a mum wait with a baby less than a year old for so many hours overnight is unacceptable.

She claims a nurse also simply laughed at her when she said Dolcie had only drunk two ounces of water all day, and Miss Clarke said she was told to go home with her daughter at 2.30am, but refused as she believed her daughter was dehydrated and needed further treatment.

She was put in Puffin Ward the next day.

Dolcie was released from Puffin Ward on November 27 and is recovering at the family home in Laindon, but it beggars belief on how they were treated by some of the staff, and although Dolcie is home now and getting better, they were in A&E far too long and some of the nurses were especially rude.

Basildon Hospital has apologised to the mother after she was made to wait overnight for her daughter to be treated, and Basildon Hospital might have apologised but the truth remains that this sort of treatment of a baby so young should never have occurred.

Mum Chelsea Clarke said she was made to wait for hours overnight before her daughter could be treated for hand, foot and mouth disease. Miss Clarke further alleged a member of staff was rude to her when she said her daughter was dehydrated from only having two ounces of water in the last 12 hours.

Basildon Hospital has apologised to Miss Clarke for the extended delay she encountered, caused by a busy A&E, but this is not good enough, children and the elderly should be a priority.

Dawn Patience, director of nursing at Basildon Hospital stated: “We are committed to providing our patients with high-quality care and when we experience exceptionally high attendances to A&E staff work hard to avoid the long waits this patient and her mum experienced and we have personally apologised to her.”

But this is not the first time something has gone wrong at Basildon Hospital, and okay Basildon Hospital has been taken out of Special Measures, but when people are saying they wouldn’t recommend it to their friends, well, it does make you wonder.

And people dying because they’ve failed to do their job properly does not give me confidence at all, and when a young patient suffered an epileptic fit, doctors were unable to give her the anti-seizure medications she needed because the stock was out of date.

And to make matters worse, there was no senior staff on duty to treat her because it was 5.30pm and the consultants were on call but not on site after 5 pm.

It’s horrifying the type of care the hospital is giving, and even though Basildon Hospital succeeded in getting off special measures, it presently seems like they should go back on them once again, and following a second grave incident in October 2012, the Care Quality Commission (CQC) harshly criticised the management and culture of the children’s services.

In the meantime, in a survey, half of the hospital’s staff announced they wouldn’t recommend it to their friends and family, and the organisation needed to put empathy, care, openness, transparency and learning at its core.

These are all worthy aims, but to truly translate them into action, hospital administrators must be more visible. So, they changed their structures and put doctors and nurses at the core of management and decision making, ensuring that safety was their first priority.

Well, as you can see, it hasn’t made much of a difference, even when they employed 200 more clinical staff and put greater importance on delivering the best care 24 hours a day, seven days a week, with consultants rotas ensuring senior cover out of hours.

But it’s apparent that not much has been accomplished at Basildon Hospital.


And then in 2017, there was Reeta Saidha who was admitted to Basildon Hospital suffering a miscarriage. Reeta died from sepsis shortly after suffering a miscarriage, she was 15 weeks pregnant when admitted to Basildon Hospital in Essex last December after her waters broke.

Her husband Bhooshan said that doctors at Basildon Hospital told Reeta that she should wait 24 hours to see whether the labour would advance naturally, but Reeta Saidah’s health declined quickly over the course of three days until her death on December 23, Reeta was only 38 years old, and left two young children behind.


Her husband Bhooshan has yet to recover from his loss and it has torn his world apart. He is still grieving and it’s still pretty hard, and a pretty dark time for him, but what he needed to find out was what happened so that it doesn’t happen to anybody else.

It was all quite surprising to him that the hospital didn’t do anything because his wife had failed to progress in labour in the past, but Reeta was not in any discomfort, so they waited as instructed but nothing happened, so she was asked to wait another 24 hours, and again nothing happened.

Nevertheless, Mrs Saidha’s health started to worsen, and she worsened so much that she was in total agony, and it was documented on the Thursday afternoon that she had sepsis. Sepsis develops quickly within the body and increasingly reduces the possibilities of survival except if immediate action is taken.

Such a response should include specialist consultation, very tight monitoring and the quick elimination of the cause of the infection, which in this case was the baby, and the first hour since the diagnosis of sepsis is crucial.

Reeta’s husband trusted the doctors and at the time believed that she was in the best place and he was not too stressed at the time because he was not made aware of the sepsis and thought the pain she was having was from the birth.

Little did he know that she was fighting for her life.

Her health proceeded to worsen and on the Friday, she had gone into Septic Shock, Stage 3 renal failure and DIC, a condition which affects blood clotting and causes extreme bleeding. She was then taken to theatre but her symptoms had now grown to critical levels.

It was Friday morning, over 18 hours following the diagnosis of sepsis when doctors eventually referred her to theatre to remove the baby. She was then taken to intensive care and the next thing her husband knew she was on life support.

An inquest learned that the sepsis was induced by an infection which occurred after the premature rupture of her membranes and the sepsis quickly spread through her body.

Mr Saidha said shortly after arriving at the hospital it was obvious the baby would not survive.

Reeta was unresponsive from Thursday evening even though it looked like her hand had moved the following evening, but this was false hope for Reeta’s husband because the sepsis had been allowed to progress to a life-threatening level even before she was transferred to the intensive care unit.

On Saturday morning Mr Saidha got an emergency call from the hospital saying he must come to intensive care quickly as is wife was no longer responding to treatment. She died several hours later on December 23.

All her family are completely heartbroken and Mr Saidha had to tell his children that their mum wasn’t coming home. The children had a big get well soon poster for her, and when he stepped through the door he had to tell them that their mother had died. They are so young and they don’t understand, it’s really hard for them.

Mr Saidha said he is concerned about the treatment provided to his wife in the days leading to her death, and he hinted that the doctors were more preoccupied with his wife’s labour rather than the threat presented by the sepsis, and said that his wife should have been seen by intensive care specialists at an earlier stage as this may have spared her life.

With all of this in mind, it’s no surprise people are losing all faith in the NHS, there are far too many blunders in our hospitals, and Basildon Hospital is top of the list.



Published by Angela Lloyd

My vision on life is pretty broad, therefore I like to address specific subjects that intrigue me. Therefore I really appreciate the world of politics, though I have no actual views on who I will vote for, that I will not tell you, so please do not ask! I am like an observation station when it comes to writing, and I simply take the news and make it my own. I have no expectations, I simply love to write, and I know this seems really odd, but I don't get paid for it, I really like what I do and since I am never under any pressure, I constantly find that I write much better, rather than being blanketed under masses of paperwork and articles that I am on a deadline to complete. The chances are, that whilst all other journalists are out there, ripping their hair out, attempting to get their articles completed, I'm simply rambling along at my convenience creating my perfect piece. I guess it must look pretty unpleasant to some of you that I work for nothing, perhaps even brutal. Perhaps I have an obvious disregard for authority, I have no idea, but I would sooner be working for myself, than under somebody else, excuse the pun! Small I maybe, but substantial I will become, eventually. My desk is the most chaotic mess, though surprisingly I know where everything is, and I think that I would be quite unsuited for a desk job. My views on matters vary and I am extremely open-minded to the stuff that I write about, but what I write about is the truth and getting it out there, because the people must be acquainted. Though I am quite entertained by what goes on in the world. My spotlight is mostly to do with politics, though I do write other material as well, but it's essentially politics that I am involved in, and I tend to concentrate my attention on that, however, information is essential. If you have information the possibilities are endless because you are only limited by your own imagination...

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: