
New passport rules could see British children born abroad refused admission to the UK.
For the first time, dual citizens – including children and babies – will have to show a passport for flights, ferries or trains into Britain or pay for a ‘certificate of entitlement’ to the tune of £589.
The rules will come into force from as early as February 25, sparking backlash from Britons overseas who have been left blindsided by the shift in border controls.
All people born abroad to a UK parent are automatically eligible for dual citizenship that cannot be renounced until turning 18, but that will require them to either get a British passport or pay the £589 charge for a ‘certificate of entitlement’ to travel to the UK.
The changes for Britain’s dual citizens are coming into force as part of the Home Office’s new Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA) programme.
Under the new rules, visitors from countries that did not previously require visas to travel to Britain will need to obtain ETAs before entering, including Canada and France. Additionally, it has been warned that there will be knock-on effects for British dual citizens.
Anyone travelling to the UK must prove permission to enter, with airline, ferry, and train firms able to deny boarding if the correct documents are not provided.
The changes that come into force from next Wednesday, February 25, specify that dual citizenship Britons have to show a valid UK passport or certificate of entitlement when arriving in the country.
That is because British and Irish nationals are exempt from ETAs. In the past, they would have been able to travel with non-British passports and use other documents to back up their citizenship if required.
Dual nationals include UK-born people who have acquired nationality from another homeland, those who naturalised or registered as British later in life and people who have been dual nationals since birth.
The Home Office’s new rules mean a British couple’s 10-month-old baby could be ‘turned back at the border’ when they leave for New Zealand in two weeks.
His grandmother told The Times: ‘We’ve sent off an application with all the documentation requested, but have received a reply saying “you need to send his NZ passport as well”.
‘We’re not going to do that because then he certainly won’t be able to travel, with no passport at all.’
The family has attempted to get through to the Home Office – but they ‘don’t have lines that deal with this’.
The grandmother added they have also been to the High Commission in New Zealand, but they were ‘told to go away’ because ‘they don’t deal with this’.
It’s funny how Labour’s policies are making it harder for British citizens who have every right to enter the UK, while illegal migrants can enter the country from France with ease and receive free housing, food, and pocket money—all at the expense of taxpayers.
Our government are making it difficult for British people to return to the UK, while they merrily give away properties to those who despise this country, but then it’s also a cash and grab by our government.
It’s actually not funny anymore because our government are crushing hard-working British people while they carry on with this gentle approach when it comes to migrants entering the UK – the whole thing is crooked.
Britain has always been one of the countries which allowed people with more than one citizenship to enter with any valid passport. Now they pester people about their plans and connections to the country under the disguise of needing to know if they will attempt to access public funds, instead of accepting valid passports for entry at ports.
This probably makes sense to most people, but strictly speaking, a passport is a passport, and nobody should be delayed trying to get back for emergencies or funerals, et cetera.
















