Prince Philip, 99, was taken to King Edward VII Hospital in London.
In a fleeting statement, Buckingham Palace said that His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh was admitted to the King Edward VII Hospital in London, on Tuesday evening.
It was said that the Duke’s admission was a precautionary measure, on the advice of His Royal Highness’s Doctor, after feeling unwell, and that the Duke was expected to remain in the hospital for a few days for observation and rest.
Royal sources have reinforced Prince Philip’s hospitalisation was not an emergency admission, and that The Duke of Edinburgh was taken from Windsor Castle, where he’s spent the past few months, to London by car – not by ambulance, and walked unaided into the hospital.
The sources added that Prince Philip had been feeling unwell for a short time and also clarified the illness was not related to COVID 19.
His wife, the Queen remains at Windsor Castle, where she’s been working and living since the start of the pandemic.
A source close to the Duke said Prince Philip remains in good spirits.
Prince Philip and the Queen have been self-isolating at Windsor Castle for the most of 2020, and there, in January, the elderly couple got their first shot of vaccine against COVID 19, and in a rare statement on private medical matters concerning the monarch, Buckingham Palace said at the time that the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh had received their COVID 19 vaccinations.
A palace source also said the decisions to reveal the vaccination was made by the Queen, and they said that to limit exaggerations and further speculation, Her Majesty decided that she would let it be known she’d had the vaccination.
Prince Philip was last admitted to King Edward VII Hospital in December 2019 for observation and treatment.
At the time, the Duke of Edinburgh was flown from Sandringham just a few days before Christmas, just as the Queen was travelling north to meet him for her winter recess.
Prince Philip remained in hospital until Christmas Eve when he was spotted walking out of the King Edward VIII Hospital unaided.
The Duke resigned from public duties in August 2017, when he dropped out of royal engagements with one last duty carried out at Buckingham Palace, and he’s lived the past few years almost entirely outside of the public eye at his five-bedroom cottage, Wood Farm, in Norfolk.
Hopefully, the Duke will improve pretty swiftly and be out of hospital soon. However, being the Royal Family does demonstrate that a life of limited to no work, zero stress, no bills to pay, no money concerns and immediate, private healthcare can have you living a long life.
And before anyone says that I seem resentful and bitter and twisted, countless people don’t live a life of idleness in unadulterated indulgence, using money earned by the arduous graft of the public.
However, I do wish him an expeditious recovery, and as a human being he’s had good innings, that’s for sure, and I’ve got to admit, he’s been a star, a straight talking, no-nonsense guy, and he has a sense of humour – well, you’ve got to, to be married to the Queen.