The terrorist who killed two people on London Bridge may have been acting in retaliation over the death of ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
Usman Khan, 28, who was shot to death by police for his terrorist attack, was previously sentenced of a conspiracy to blow up the London Stock Exchange in 2012.
He was known to security chiefs and investigations were initiated to unearth if he had any associates and it’s thought that he was one of 20,000 UK jihadi suspects known to police and MI5.
Colonel Richard Kemp, ex-COBRA security committee chief said that if he turned out to be an Islamic terrorist, then he was possibly motivated by Islamic State and that it was even possible his action was in revenge for al-Baghdadi’s death and that it was something ISIS had called for since the US Delta Force attack in Syria.
Al-Baghdadi died after blowing himself up with a suicide vest during a US raid of the Syrian camp he was being held at on October 26 this year and Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu verified that a man and a woman were stabbed in the attack which saw Khan, wearing a fake suicide vest, killed up to five people before being shot dead by armed police as hundreds of commuters retreated in fear.
The assault coincided with a similar disturbance in Holland which saw three children stabbed on a shopping street in The Hague but national broadcaster NOS said the assault couldn’t directly be attributed to terrorism.
Dutch police started a manhunt following the assault, which took place on a bustling shopping street near the city’s historic centre and the area was cordoned off and dozens of police and ambulances were on the scene.
And in Paris, the Gare Du Nord train station was temporarily evacuated after an alleged explosive device was discovered in an unattended bag and unsubstantiated images show the device, which resembled a mortar shell, inside an old duffel bag with some people suggesting the device was a dummy explosive used for training purposes.
Commissioner Basu also revealed that Khan, who was from Stoke-on-Trent, had a previous terrorism conviction and had been imprisoned for eight years in 2012 but he was discharged on licence in December 2018 and was still wearing a monitoring tag at the time of the assault.
Anti-terror police stormed a house in the Staffordshire region connected to the killer.
Khan had been attending a seminar in Fishmongers Hall run by Cambridge University’s Criminology Department to help offenders reintegrate into society following their discharge from prison.
Khan had threatened to blow up the building at the commencement of his five-minute rampage which ended in his death on London Bridge and climactic video footage showed him being tackled to the ground by at least six members of the public.
One man pursued the criminal with a fire extinguisher while another used a Narwhal whale tusk to restrain him.
Khan had previously been arrested on December 20, 2010, four days before he and his nine-strong Al-Queda-inspired gang planned to plant a bomb in the toilets of the London Stock Exchange.
He was a member of a nine-strong Al Queda-inspired gang planning to blow up the London Stock Exchange and following the arrest of Khan’s gang, police found a handwritten list of victims which included the US Embassy and the homes of then London Mayor Boris Johnson, the Dean of St Paul’s Cathedral and two rabbis.
The gang also carried out surveillance of other potential targets including Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, the Palace of Westminster and the London Eye.
The group planned to send five bombs in the post to London synagogues and the Church of Scientology headquarters, as well as spreading panic on Stoke on Trent by planting bombs in pubs and club toilets.
The attack came after the terror threat in the UK was reduced from severe to substantial and police were guarding the area over the weekend in case of a copycat attack and to reassure the public.
But all those convicted of past terrorist attacks need to be locked up for life, they’re too much of a risk to good, ordinary citizens going about their daily lives.
ISIS has since claimed the London Bridge terror attack was carried out by one of its fighters and the terrorist organisation said Usman Khan, 28, who killed two and wounded several more when he went on a knife rampage in central London, acted on their behalf.
The group, however, didn’t present any proof this was the case as it claimed its news agency and added that the assault was made in response to Islamic State calls to target countries that have been part of a coalition fighting the jihadist group.
What this story shows is both the greatness and risks of immigration and the danger of having people like Khan in our country, where they don’t have any wish to adapt or have any love for the culture of the nation they live in.
On the other hand, you have the Polish immigrant Lucasz, who seeing the attacker might be a suicide bomber was prepared to give his life to protect others in his new country.
The brave man who fought off the knife-wielding terrorist with a 5ft narwhal tusk is now being treated for stab wounds in hospital.
The hero, who is believed to be a polish chef by the name of Lukasz, courageously helped bring down convicted subversive Usman Khan with others on London Bridge.
Lukasz, who works in the kitchen at Fishmongers Hall where Khan’s assault began, is believed to be in the hospital where he’s recuperating from stab wounds.
A work-mate said that staff have been urged not to say too much, but that he had his number and he’s still in the hospital.
Friday’s heroes were Cambridge graduate Jack Merritt, a 25-year-old course coordinator who was the first victim to be identified after grieving father paid tribute to his son as a beautiful spirit.
Three people, one man and two women, were rushed to hospital on Friday night, one was in critical condition, one was stable and a third had less severe injuries and an NHS Chief Executive said that one patient who was in critical condition has improved and the status of the other two was the same.
It came after a woman, who didn’t give her name, said a woman in her 20s had slash wounds on her arms and stomach and a man had to be put in an induced coma.
Lukasz was one of the many onlookers who endangered their lives to bring down the London Bridge terrorist. Another hero was a kitchen porter named only as Mohammed who is said to have tackled Khan on his lunch break before going back to wash dishes.
Two other men who helped to catch the attacker were courageous tour guides Thomas Gray, 24, and Stevie Hurst who jumped out of their vehicle to help.
Prisoner James Ford, 42, helped take down Khan while he was on day release. James Ford murdered a 21-year-old disabled girl back in 2004 and was at an event about rehabilitating criminals when he stepped in.
A British Transport police officer in plain clothes bravely picked up one of the knives from the floor and moved it away from the aggressor.
Khan, who was from Staffordshire, was released from prison last December and police said he was known to the authorities after he was convicted in 2012 for terror attacks and was forbidden from entering London but succeeded in getting a one-day exemption to attend an ex-convict event.
The killer deceived police by travelling to the prisoner rehabilitation conference at Fishmongers Hall where he began his horror rampage and one academic who was there stated that Khan suddenly just flipped.
It was reported that Khan was given special dispensation to attend the Cambridge University run event. The heartless criminal attended the morning session before returning after lunch to begin his rampage furnished with two knives and a fake explosive vest.
Khan is the first freed terrorist to launch an assault in this country and the Parole Board said in a statement that they had no involvement in Khan’s release.